How to make A 3GP Mobile Video
My recent post “Tips on how to import videos that taped in Sony HandyCam DCR-HC40” helps me lots, and I don’t have to have a huge pile of tapes to store all my recordings instead I import all of them to my computer so that I can edit and upload some of them to Youtube so that my folks can view them from there.
Now there are more problems, with these videos available on my computer, what do you do with them? How to edit them? What kind of quality I need to use for internet access? And even a simple question like “How can I play my videos on my TV instead on my computer’s monitor?”. So I am planning to write a series of articles on how I am doing that, I hope this helps others too. So please come back and check my site for the new updates, you will find out that my site is valuable. All of my information posted here are original!
Let’s go back the true topic I want to bring up today: How to make a 3GP mobile video? First, what’s 3 GP thing anyway?
3GP or .3gp is the third generation video standard and is a multimedia container format defined by 3GPP for use on 3G mobile phones. It is a simplified version of MPEG-4 Part 14 (MP4). It integrates mp3, mp4, 3gpp, 3g3p and 3g2.
3GP stores video streams as MPEG-4 or H.263, and audio streams as AMR-NB or AAC-LC formats. 3GP files are always big-endian. 3GP also describes image sizes and bandwidth, so content is correctly sized for mobile display screens.
3GP files are viewable on a PC using QuickTime or RealPlayer.
Now how do we make a 3GP video for mobile devices such as iPhone? That’s where SUPER (Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer) comes to play. Well, there are many converters out there why you want to use SUPER though, well, it’s personal choice plus SUPER has many different advantages such as simple, ease-to-use, and support any multimedia files as stated in the site
SUPER © IS UNIVERSAL as it supports a wide variety of input/source file format to play
or encode (to & from) without any additional third party software.
Supported input source file formats are:
– Image Sequence: jpg, pgm, png, ppm (with sequentially numbered-ONLY filenames)
having the same filename numbered-ONLY format. Example: 0001.jpg –up to–> 0999.jpg
note that this format will NOT work name_0001.jpg –up to–> name_0999.jpg (take out name_)
– Video format: 3gp/3g2(Nokia,Siemens,Sony,Ericsson), amv, asf, avi(DivX,H263,H263+,H264,XviD,MPEG4,MSmpeg4…), dat,
fli, flc, flv, m2t, mkv, mpg(MPEG-I,MPEG-II,VCD,SVCD), mov(H263,H264,MPEG4,SVQ..), mp4(H263,H264,MPEG4..), nsv, ogg,
qt, rm, ram, rmvb, str(Old Play Station), swf(Flash), ts(HDTV), viv, vob, wmv
– Audio format: aac, ac3, amr, mmf, mp2, mp3, mp4, mpc, ogg, ra, wav, wma
– AviSynth Script Files: avs. Let you specify advanced encoding commands using AviSynth scripts!
For more details go to http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html
Let’s download and install SUPER from http://www.erightsoft.net/S6Kg1.html
and start editing your video
- Start SUPER up, and drag and drop your video onto it
- Now let’s set the output container to “3gp (Nokia/NEC/Siemens)”, output video codec to “H.263″ and output audio codec to “AAC”.
For VIDEO OPTIONS, do the following:
select video scale size.
Select Bitrate kbps as 96 or less. The bigger the Bitrate kbps, the larger the 3gp file size.
uncheck “Stretch It” if you want.
- To set the volume click “Other Opts” button to bring up “Other Encode Options” dialog, and adjust the volume accordingly, click the button to hide it
- To set Audio options, you will work on audio section right below Video section: here are the guidelines:
* Select Sampling Freq. The bigger the Sampling Freq, the larger the 3gp file size.
* Select Channels. 2 Channels will result in a 10% increase in 3gp file.
* Select Bitrate kbps as 48 or less. The bigger the Bitrate kbps, the larger the 3gp file size.
- Check the checkbox next to the video file that you want to encode now, and right click to bring up the option dialog, select “Output File Saving Management” to set your output/destination directory
- Make sure the video file(s) that you want to encode is/are checked and press Encode (Active Files) button to start encoding, you will see sgp files saved under your destination directory as specified above