Tips on speeding up WordPress Admin’s Dashboard
You may notice that WordPress shows error messages in your WordPress dashboard saying timeout if you host your own WordPress somewhere, that’s because your PHP socket timeout is set too low, mine is 60 secs which is big enough. You may also be aware that you don’t really look at them(Development blog, Incoming Links, Developers news, and WordPress plugins) most of the time. Originally I thought to just remove/comment out some of code related to dashboard but I recall there is a plugin which just does that for you. So I did a search in wordpress.org and found that it’s wordpress-dashboard-editor.
And I installed it and tried it, and it works fine. And I love it, thanks Aaron Harun for the great plugin, here is the description of this plugin:
This plugin allows you to add whatever you want to the WordPress dashboard through PHP and HTML even Sidebar Widgets. You can also wipe the entire dashboard or individually remove some of the more irritating sections like the Dev news, Planet WordPress and the getting started section.
To make this tip complete, i am adding details on how to use the plugin to disable these features which trouble us:
- After installing wordpress-dashboard-editor (following the link below to download it from wordpress.org) into your wordpress’ plugin directory, activate it from admin’s plugins page
- Click “Dashboard” which is located at the top left corner of your admin page
- Then click “Dashboard Management” submenu, this may take sometime
- So next let’s disable the following features:
- Remove Developers news?
- Remove Planet News
- Remove WordPress Plugins
- Remove Incoming Links
- Remove recent comments
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom, and press the “Save” button to save your chagnes
- Now let’s try to see if this helps you by clicking “Dashboard” submenu,
You may notice your wordpress administration page performs very fast after disabling these features using wordpress-dashboard-editor
Here is the link to download the plugin: wordpress-dashboard-editor